Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Look into the Food between State and AU

I am an Alfred State student but this year I am also an AU student too because I take a class and have a job in the main dining hall on campus. I have always heard that the food at AU was terrible. I noticed that this concept is not that far off. When I work as a checker I noticed that several AU students commented on my take out Alfred State lunch from the Terrace. They said that my lunch looked a lot better that the lunch they were going to have. I honestly think it’s sad to think about that my lunch looks better than theirs even if it’s just dino nuggets and cottage cheese. The Terrace at least lets us see what the food specials will be for the day before you go inside. AU students have no idea what food they will be served for that day. I have tasted the AU food during my dinner shift that I work and I agree that the food can be terrible but it is not terrible all the time. I may complain about the Terrace food sometimes but really I will take the Terrace food over AU food any day.

The Terrace has a tendency to buy food premade but everything at AU is cooked fresh and homemade daily. This is interesting but at least you know that the food served doesn’t have as much salt, and grease that Alfred State has in it. AU offers more vegetarian options for their students. AU doesn’t have garbage cans in the dining hall as State does but they compost their food they cook and students throw away. I wish that Alfred State has a much eco-consciousness as AU. I would rather have no garbage cans and compost all the food we throw away every day. It’s such a big waste all the food state throws away on a daily basis. Another difference between AU and State is the food is a lot fancier at AU. I expected this to be true anyway but it’s really interesting how weird it’s. For example when I eat dinner during my break I wanted to eat some soup. I walk over to the soup and it says vegetable. I like vegetable so I was like ok. I thought it was going to be like the vegetable soap you get in Wegmans. I was totally wrong. It was weird vegetable. I didn’t really know what was in it exactly but it didn’t meet my expectations at all. I think often when I see the food being served for dinner do you ever make food that is not high end?  

No comments: