Sunday, March 18, 2012

Being in a Group

Humans are very social beings always seeking a way to connect to others and obtain a feeling of belonging. One of the most functional ways that people achieve these goals is by joining a group. A group is defined as a meeting together of three or more people who interact with each other, but at the same time are interdependent of each other. The members of this group all have needs and goals that influence others.

Groups in society have two major characteristics. The group binds others together to give them a sense of belonging and at the same time gives its members identity. Groups are usually formed by people of the same sex, age, beliefs, and opinions. Groups can be positive and uplifting, but when a negative obsession turns into malicious behavior the group can become destructive for example terrorists or sadistic cults. People belong to groups because they want to bond and fill basic human needs and fulfill the craving to belong to something that they can relate to. By having the knowledge that others are of the same interests and ideas helps people form their social identities.

There are two properties that are essential to groups. The first one is the need to belong. I belong to the Corning Community College Crier. I love to belong to the Crier because it fulfills my need to belong to a group that shares my same love for writing as I. The second essential property is that groups help define who people are. The group helps people understand the world better and find their place in it. My life would not be the same without writing and I like to read opinions of other people to understand issues within the college. My interaction with the school paper gives me a strong feeling of belonging while connecting me to the ideas of the educational institution that I attend. I am looking forward to becoming an alumnus a very select group that will always be part of my life and life career.

No comments: