Monday, March 26, 2012

Similar

Birds of a feather flock together is a folk saying first coined by William Turner in 1545. It is defined as birds of a single species do in fact frequently form flocks. It is the safety in number tactics to decrease on the predation. People use this same type of strategy when it comes to forming relationships. People of the same character and backgrounds like to associate together. This enhances their comfort zone and gives them feelings of warm and fuzzy. This phenomenon can also be referred to as the law of attraction. It helps alleviate the fear of the unknown and makes life more comfortable. When people of similar character interact they are more apt to find happiness caused by their thoughts being in agreement. They feel increased contentment and joy. Similarity between two people is the fuel that helps us to grow meaningful friendships and romantic relationships. Similarity involves a match between interests, attitudes, values, backgrounds, and personalities shared between two people. The more similar people are to each other the more they will like each other. The more lasting romantic relationships are built off of friendship. Research has found that relationships between people who are similar are more straightforward and less complicated. People dislike associating with people that do not share their similar character because it is the fear of the unknown and makes them feel uncomfortable.

For example I personally like to have friendships and romantic relationships with people who are similar to me. I find that I can connect more to the person if we have a lot in common and they become one of my closer friends. The more in common I have with someone the more I enjoy their company and it is easier to talk with them. Currently I am going out with a man who shares the same beliefs and values as I do. We have a great relationship together. We have a more comfortable and meaningful relationship because we have a lot in common. I would feel very uncomfortable and not interested in someone who had a very different background from me such as someone from a very large city or foreign country.

No comments: