Sunday, March 9, 2014

SWOT Credibility

1. Your findings of strengths and areas for improvement on your ability to build credibility and trust as a leader.

Trustworthy
Strengths:
Ethical
Protect confidentiality information
Follow through with commitment
Excellent communication skills
Developed strong boundaries
Practice a healthy lifestyle
Provide a supportive environment

Weaknesses:
Strongly standing up for what I believe in
Build more confidence (improving)
Being more persistent
Learn how to relax
Heighten brainstorming techniques
Need to better control feelings of overwhelmed
Too passive related to my rights 
I considered myself to be credible because I am trustworthy, dependable, and consistent following through with commitments that lead to success. Since I started college I have achieved hugh quantities of personal growth and development. My increase in personal growth has had a direct effect upon me being more credible. It is amazing what I have experienced while living in the culture of college life. Just by taking classes, learning more skills, living on my own, and even a simple thing like participating in a Zumba class has had an effect on my personal growth, therefore increasing my credibility.
However, personal growth can be painful for me when I develop through a hard, challenging experience where I am forced to face my own weaknesses. I used to be resistant and scared to new experiences and ideas, but now I have discovered I like to experience new things and continue to grow and mature. The more experiences I commit to the more growth and learning has occurred by finding out how things are connected, I have become more observant, developed more confident, feel less self-conscious, have less anxiety, make new friends, connect at a deeper level with people, learn to trust people more and improve me ability to work better in a team approach. 
Eventually with more course work completed I look forward to a mentoring opportunity to further tune my understanding of the profession.  I am looking forward to getting a job where I can utilize my education and new found credibility.

2. What do you see as the most important skills and attributes for a leader to build credibility and   trust?
Being trustworthy
Follow through on commitment
Great communication skills
Passion
Focus
Effectively listening skills
Being assertive
Learning to say no
Persistence
Manage stress well
Strong delegation skills
Make priorities
Organized

3. Profile a leader that you have worked with that in your estimation demonstrates a strong ability to influence others because of their credibility and trust.
     I am familiar with a female who has within the past 2 years obtained a job as a leader.  She has strong credibility and her followers have trust in her abilities. She has strong ethics and is very empathetic towards others and considerate of others’ points of view.  She is immature in her leadership skills, but has insight into her limitations and realizes she is using a trial and error process, but is able to evaluate the outcome and learn from her mistakes.
     One of her weakest abilities is following through.  She will determine to take action, assesses the situation, but then is weak in delegation and commitment to see the process through.  Her inability to determine priorities leads her to start many action projects, not delegate to others, and she attempts to do each step herself.  She becomes overwhelmed and finds there are not enough hours in a day to complete everything that needs to be done.  Many times she needs repetitive reminders about continuing the process of the action she has chosen to pursue because she becomes distracted and forgets.  Therefore she becomes a disorganized leader.

    She is well liked by her followers with positive personality traits and desires, but sometimes is viewed as weak and lacking leadership skills because of her lack of delegation and her trust in her followers’ abilities.  I think that with a strong mentor to help her see her weak areas she has the capabilities and the strengths of being an outstanding leader.

No comments: