Monday, March 2, 2015

A Look inside Hooping a Ben Berry Exclusive


What do you know about the history of hooping? It has a very rich history. Egyptian children would make hoops out of vines and roll them down hills. Native American Indians hoop dance has existed for a while. Classic hoops were invented in the 1950’s by Wham-o.

What are the benefits of hooping? According to the American Council on Exercise the physical benefits of hoping are toning the entire body, better coordination, more flexibility, stronger core, better cardiovascular muscles, and improves eye coordination and motor skills. Hooping burns 215 calories for a 30 minute session. The mental benefits of hooping include being a stress reliever, promotes creativity, improved self-confidence, and joy.

How did you get started in hoop dance? A year and a half ago I was hanging out with my friend Emily and they were bored and she had some hoops laying around and I wanted to challenge myself. I tried to hoop around the waist but was unable too. After several hours of trying I was finally able to do it. After getting home that night I searched on YouTube hooping videos. I came across Lisa Lolly, she was really my first exposure to hoop dancing. I knew that I had to learn after that moment. I then watched tutorials but most of it was self-taught by experimentation.

What made you want to start your own company? I was majoring in paralegal. I wasn’t
That serious about it. It was a huge transition and I loved the benefits it gave me especially a boost in self-confidence. I wanted to support myself but at the same time sharing hooping. My company is called Fruit Hoops because my last name is Berry. My main objectives of my company is to offer hoop dance instruction and performance art that can include different types of circus props such as fire hoops and LED hoops.

How did you learn to make your own hoops? I found a video online about how to make beginner hoops with irrigation tubing. I bought 100 foot tubing, connectors, and pipe cutter. By using a formula I learned in high school the circumference of a circle is how I know how big to make the hoops. Then I bought colorful tape to decorate it and grip tape.

Can you tell me about hoop sizes? When you are first starting out as a hoper starting with a hoop that is bigger than what you would expect preferably at chest level is the best. In the hopping community it is debated that as you progress you should use smaller and smaller hoops. This is great if you have a smaller frame. But it doesn’t work for everyone. Bigger hoops are great for slow more controlled movements. Smaller hoops are better for quick transitions, and off the body manipulation.

What tips would you give to beginner hopers? Practice a little bit everyday if it’s only 5, 10 or even 15 minutes if you want to get really good. Don’t let videos on the internet discourage you from trying new tricks they can be overwhelming. Never lose why you love to hoop. Trying to learn how to do advanced tricks too fast can be too much and if you are hooping without really loving it can leave you feeling unsatisfied.


If interested at 7pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Small Event Space in SLC I bring extra hoops for anyone who wants to try. I even want to try to start my own class on campus if I can get enough people interested. Email me at BenjaminBerry7194@gmail.com

No comments: