Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Spiral of Experince


1)      The Spiral of experience model has three different processes action, observation, and reflection. A variable that effects the way a person makes decisions in relation to action is the self-fulfilling prophesy. This prophesy explains that a person’s perception of another person and expectations of that person may influence how we respond when we are around them and we may act in a way that confirms those expectations.
                   Observation occurs spontaneously and effortlessly. A perceptual set can influence any of the senses. A perpetual set is a bias to perceive one thing and not another. This includes feelings, needs, prior experience, and expectations. For example if you don’t like a certain person because of a particular reason we may discount important advice they may be able to offer you.
                     Reflection is the interpretation of our observations. Attributions are important to reflection. An attribution is the explanations we develop for behaviors we attend to. The fundamental attribution error occurs when we prefer to explain other people’s behavior on personal attributions instead of situational factors. Reflection can provide a leader with the tools to see things differently.

2) An effective leadership program involves the concepts of personal growth, skill building, and feedback.
         Personal growth can occur naturally; I have developed and matured naturally by taking classes, learning more skills, living on my own, and learning new things like Zumba. But personal growth for me can occur through a hard, challenging experience where I can be forced to learn to face my weaknesses. I used to be resistant and scared but now I have discovered I like to experience new things and mature. The more experiences I take on the more grow and learn how things are connected, become more observant, confident, sexy,  less self-conscious, having less anxiety, making new friends, connecting at a deeper level with people, learning to trust friends, and working in groups. 
        Skill building involves evaluating strength and weaknesses. The way that I can work on this is just experiencing and learning new things like dance and skills like coping skills. 
         The last part for a leadership program to be effective is feedback. I can achieve this by asking my teachers, peers, family, friends, and lover to tell me if they see and changes in me and things I can improve on. This reveals a blind spot that tells me what they see that I may have overlooked.
  
3) I believe that people have an innate need for growth and development. Without growth and development how can we learn the skills to live like coping skills, social skills, friendship, making connections, mental, money management, and common sense. Maslow proposed that humans have 5 needs for growth and development. Physiological needs include air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep. Safety needs include protection from elements, security, order, law, limits, and stability. Social needs include belongingness, affection and love, from work group, family, friends, and romantic relationships. Esteem needs include achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, and respect from others. Self-Actualization needs include realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

  McLeod, S. A. (2007). Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Retrieved from http://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html


No comments: