Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Leadership chapter 13 dq


1)       Do you think that leaders can be flexible in how they interact with others?
A good quality leader must be flexible.  Many leaders are not strong in the ability to be flexible, but must learn to be flexible to be successful as a leader.  Leaders need to welcome and encourage change and learn to adapt.  Facing large quantities of adversities, multiple demands, and frequent interruptions is a necessity in a busy and successful work environment.  Welcoming change and therefore being flexible indicates to co-workers that the leader is open to accepting what it takes to get the job done.

Do you believe that leaders can change their behaviors? All people are different, but a good quality leader must be able to be flexible when they interact with others and they need to acquire the ability to change their behavior.  Some people are introverts and some are extraverts, but adjustment to their personal styles can help them change their behavior so that they function well within the work structure. Keeping an open door policy can enhance interacting with co-workers and help address many of the demands, but knowing how to delegate, prioritize and work outside their own comfort zone is a must.  Many leaders find changing their innate behavior can be difficult, but it is a skill that can be developed.

Do you believe that leaders can change their personalities? Psychologists generally agree that a person’s personality cannot be changed, however they do support that a leader can improve their success by learning new skills and new behaviors.  Generally it is believed that a tiger cannot change it stripes so it is necessary to do a good selection of the candidate for the job in the very beginning. However some people do possess the ability to develop better quality leadership skills. The person needs to have a firm control over their own personality in order to develop self-awareness of how they can develop skills and behaviors that are conducive for improved leadership ability. A leader can learn how to be a more effective leader by learning new skills and new behaviors, but personality is personality, and it cannot be changed and the leader needs to learn to adapt to become an effective leader.

Brusman, M. (2001). Leadership Personality: Do You Have the Big Five Traits? Working Resources Newsletter: Volume IV, No. 8. Retrieved from http://www.workingresources.com/nss-folder/pdffolder/LeadershipPersonality.pdf

2)      Of the 5 contingency approaches to leadership, which approach seems like the best fit for you and why?

The theory that most applies to me best is the Leader-Member Exchange Theory. This theory has three components: role taking, role making, and routinization. Role taking is the opportunity to evaluate follower performance and potential. I have found that I accomplish role taking well under a strong leader-member exchange style. If I have close, consistent and structured direction in learning a new skill then I am able to absorb the information and develop quickly and easily. Role making is a trust building process and if the environment is conducive to making me feel welcomed and accepted, I develop trust and I can grow and feel comfortable during the learning process. In the leader-member exchange theory routinization establishes relationships where similarities and differences become equal. When I feel that within the situation I am different from the others but not treated like I am different I feel connected for just being me. Connecting with people is a very important aspect of my life, but I feel that I have been in many situations in the past where leader-member exchange has not been practiced.  I struggled and did not feel that I belonged even in situations where I was not that different from everyone else in the situation.  Now I am aware that when this theory is practiced I can know that I am different, but still feel accepted.  When I entered a situation where I felt like I was taking on an unfamiliar role, development of trust and routinization occurred, and I knew that leader-member exchange theory was occurring and that because of it, I would positively grow and enjoy the process.


No comments: