Monday, April 21, 2014

Leadership Experience Dq

1) Reflect on a leadership experience you had where you had to manage change. Explain the situation, strategy you chose and why you chose that approach.

 I recently became the public relations chairperson for the Alfred State College Voices Club. My approach was the use of rational management of change. I planned out an outline of all the reasons why the club was a good club as a whole, but some changes could be beneficial. I meet with the director of the club to discuss the pitfalls of the club and my thoughts and ideas about how to approach these issues to strive towards a positive change. I found the meeting a very good experience and the director was receptive to suggestions towards making the change and I felt good about making change. I noted that the fall of 2014 would be a good time to make the changes because the club had several members graduating and the majority of the membership left was underclassmen. I am looking forward to the fall and the new plans for change, but I do realize that I will have to maintain my plans based on change management. There is at least one strong member that will be a senior in the fall, with three years of membership in the club, that maybe resistant and angry because they desired to be a club officer but did not receive sufficient votes by the members to hold any office.  


   2) Explain the most effective leader I have ever been around and their change management approach and if     they were effective.

Some characteristics of an effective leader that I think are important are: face and solve problems, communicate clearly, regularly, and purposively, be trustworthy, scrupulous, show respect of all members, possess passion for their mission, treat employees/people fairly, show confidence and integrity, care about people, and be empowering. They also should possess genuineness, supportiveness, attentive listening abilities, admit their mistakes, not be afraid to ask for help, be open-minded, competent, and responsible, guide by example, display candor, empathy, and compassion.

I know that these are all important and desirable, but also a very big expectation. In the ideal world this is what I would like to see in an effective leader. Unfortunately to date I have not seen a leader with these qualities.  I have met many leaders in different situations and witnessed a majority of these traits, but they all demonstrate weaknesses. I feel that is where a good member can come forward and assist their leader by filling in the traits that need to be accomplished. I have witnessed many “right-hand-men” so to speak and they many times are too focused on their own promotion or maybe even taking over the leader’s position that they do not provide an adequate supportive environment.  I feel that success of a group only comes by a strong leader, but also with faithful and consistent members for a cause.

No comments: