Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Leadership Styles

1. Brainstorm personal and/or professional qualities you deem important in an individual if they are to be an effective leader.

Some characteristics of an effective leader that I think are important are: face and solve problems, communicate regularly, clearly, and purposively, trustworthy, scrupulous, respect for employees, passion for their job, treat employees/people fairly, confidence, cares about people, integrity and empowering. I would like them to be genuine, supportive, attentive listening skills, admit mistakes, not be afraid to ask for help, open-minded, competent, and responsible, sets an example, displays candor, empathy, and compassion. I know that these are all important and desirable, but also a very big expectation. In the ideal world this is what I would like to see in an effective leader.

2. Review the three leadership styles; laissze-faire, democratic, and authoritative. Choose the style that best represents your list of qualities. Discuss whether you believe this is the most effective style and why. 

I am warm, confident, and friendly, self-directed, desire organization and structure. My leadership style most reflects the democratic leadership style. Democratic style provides the perfect amount of structure but at the same time the leader is not being overzealous, harsh or demanding towards others. Democratic style can foster competence because subordinates are allowed to make their own decisions, express their ideas, and make suggestions. Democratic style is a desirable management style that is effective because it is a good balance. The subordinates would be more motivated to accomplish their assignments while feeling more satisfied by having a voice. Authoritarian leadership style is too harsh, and demanding while not really helping anyone else solve or improve a work related situation. The laissez- faire style has no direction, specific goals, and absence of leadership. These two styles are not desirable to me and would not work well with my personality.

3. Describe one situation, personal or professional, where you experienced one of these three forms of leadership as a subordinate. 

I work at the Terrace in the central dining hall. Every time I needed redirection the student managers would always tell me what was expected and how to correct it. For example one day my manager told me that my hours were printing over each other when I would punch in and out. She told me to punch the number 2 on the timecard machine before I punch in or out. I did this and now the problem is solved. She was warm and friendly about it and I appreciated her use of democratic leadership style.

4. What type of leadership style would you use in a future position of leadership: autocratic, democratic, or laissez faire? Why that style? Describe the type of industry or business you see yourself working in where you’ll exhibit this form of leadership.

My leadership style most reflects democratic. I desire structure and this style of leadership fosters competence, I would be better able to make decisions, express my ideas, and make suggestions. I would be more effective in the job and satisfied by having a voice. Democratic style is effective because it’s just right between too harsh and too laid back. I can see myself using this style in a human service profession.

No comments: