Thursday, April 30, 2015

Exam 2


 1.      On page 265 of our text begins a discussion of an expanded eight step problem solving model. From your internship, identify a management problem and apply all the eight steps to lead to a desired change outcome. The change may or may not have happened; it may be hypothetical for the purposes of illustrating your understanding of the model.

a.      Say it out loud; I hate being disconnected from the community, my peers, and left out of the loop.

b.      Name the problem; the problem is finding resources. 

c.       Expand your thinking; throughout my educational process I have been encouraged to seek outside sources to enhance my learning experience. I have had difficulty seeking out and utilizing outside sources, but since I started my internship I am finding it much easier.

d.      Consider the causes; I have never really know who to talk to find out information. I have felt isolated and left out most of my life.

e.       Focus your attention; seeking out people who know how to access information I don’t know.

f.       Determine your goals; my goals for solving this problem is to become smarter, more mature, and more “in the know” by being a liaison between different clubs.

g.      Identify the strategies; I think that this skill is improving due to having Nickie Hockenberry in the same office where I do my internship. She many times will discuss with me about all the different people she interacts with and their variety of experiences and knowledge. Sharing this information has enhanced my overall experience. I have connected with her intern and Taquon Middleton, who also work for her.

h.      Create the change; I have heightened my understanding that outside sources can help me find more information and therefore get projects done more efficiently. I feel that I have grown personally by I am informed about important informational activities and activities that students need to know prior to the release date. My internship has allowed me to feel more confident to reach out to a variety of other people. This experience has been positive for me because I can feel my growth while meeting my own personal internship goals.

 2.      A. What does the phrase: “Choose your companion: Excellence or Perfection?” mean to you?  Reflect on any movement that you have found in yourself in regard to this phrase. I always strive to excellence and perfection in everything I do. If it lacks my standards of excellence I am disappointed and feel embarrassed and ashamed and wish I had done better.

 B. Identify a person (you do not need to use their actual name) you have encountered in your practicum that you see as a true human services professional. Describe the qualities you see this person modeling that exemplifies a professional.

Some qualities that a person that I have encountered in my internship that I see as an human service professional are a great attitude, enthusiastic about the job, ethical goal focused, a great listener, she suspends her own personal agenda for others, persistent, self-confident, and self-discipline.

 It is impossible to limit the list to just 10, and so here are 25 more that represent my second tier: 

 C.  In Human Services, the descriptor “practice wisdom” is often heard. What is the difference between intelligence and wisdom?

      Intelligence is the capacity for learning reasoning understanding, and similar forms of mental activity, high mental capacity, knowledge of an event, or circumstance, and the gathering or the distribution of information.

      Wisdom is having the power of discerning judgment to what is right or wrong with good discretion, scholarly knowledge, and being in the know.

3.      On page 339, our text identifies attributes of a sense of fulfillment in work and life, using the three major categories, identify aspects of your practicum that contribute (or not) to feelings of fulfillment.
 

 Doing worthwhile work

·         Works with students from 11 different countries

·         Collaborate with other clubs/organizations with cultural themed events and activities and serve as a liaison/ resource with civic engagement

·         Serves in management and leadership roles

·         Worked on a project to promote Islamic beliefs; Alfred State is a campus that has .001% of Muslims and is seeing an increase in enrollment of that faith

·         Develop a better cultural competency

·         Obtained over 400 hours of supervised practicum experience 

  Developing responsible relationships

·         International students

·         Tricia Herritt

·         Nickie Hockenberry

·         Taquon Middleton

 

Self-defined success

·         Tunnel of Oppression project
·         Obtained more leadership opportunities
·         More confidence
·         Stronger resource development
·        Networking
·         Multiple options to work independently
·         Learn new skills
·         Make more decisions in positive ways
·         The tools to be more “in the know” of what is happening at Alfred State
·         Improving my abilities to be a better editor for the school paper
·         Has expanded my abilities for networking
·         More mature in my thinking

 
4.  Part of developing as a civic professional and having feelings of fulfillment is to have a sense of how your agency contributes to the community well-being. Using the criteria on p. 352, discuss the public relevance of the work done by your practicum agency.

This agency is involved in the community by having trips and hosting cultural events. The international students are very involved.
 
5.      Managers are faced with making difficult decisions that often require adherence to a number of possibly conflicting rules and concepts. The first step in sorting through all the requirements is to know what the terms mean in the Human Service field.
 
Define the following terms as they relate to your internship, and the text:
 
a.       Values are respect of worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance. Some values of my agency is involvement, belonging, dependability, efficiency, hard work, and professionalism.

b.      Morals are the conduct between right and wrong. Tricia always makes through everything is done in the right way.

c.       Ethics is a system of moral principles. Ethics are followed at my internship.

d.      Privacy is the state of being alone. Whenever there is a conversation that Tricia has that needs to be private she closes her door so no one can hear or disturb her.

e.       Privileged communication is privacy and confidentiality.  Everything is kept confidential in my agency.

f.       Confidentiality is the spoken, written, acted on in strict privacy or secrecy; secret:  Everything is kept confidential in my agency.

g.      Guidelines are indication of future actions. Tricia and discussed the good and the bad of the cultural showcase and how it can be improved for next year. I typed up a list of due dates for information to be submitted for next year.

h.      Standards are a rule or principle that is used as a basis for judgment. I have high standard of how things should be done and I make sure that it’s done to my satisfaction the best that I can.

i.        Regulations are a law, rule, or other order prescribed by authority, especially to regulate conduct. There are many regulations for international students for studying at Alfred State and Tricia always makes sure these regulations are followed and helps out the best she can if they need help.

j.        Policy is a definite course of action adopted for the sake of expediency, facility, etc.  There are many policies for international students for studying at Alfred State and Tricia always makes sure these regulations are followed and helps out the best she can if they need help.

k.      Principles are a fundamental, primary, or general law or truth from which others are derived. There are many laws for international students for studying at Alfred State and Tricia always makes sure these regulations are followed and helps out the best she can if they need help.

l.        Code is a system for communication. Tricia and the international club use email and social media to distribute communication.

m.    Autonomy is independence or freedom, as of the will or one's actions. This is displayed by giving me complete control over my projects, trusting me to do it in a timely manner, and not hovering.

n.      Beneficence is the doing of good; active goodness or kindness; charity. This is displayed by the agency being a human service agency.

o.      Justice is the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness. This is displayed by being an advocate for her international students.

p.      Non maleficence is the doing of evil or harm. There is no maleficence is my agency.

q.      Fidelity is loyalty. Tricia is loyal to her students.

r.        Veracity is conformity to truth or fact; accuracy. The truth and accuracy are done to the best of ability.

s.       Negligence is to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight. There is no negligence in my internship site. 

t.        Malpractice is render proper services through reprehensible ignorance or negligence or through criminal intent, especially when injury or loss follows. There is no malpractice in my internship site. 

u.      Liability is something disadvantageous. I can’t think of any.

a.       Vicarious liability is something that is performed, exercised, received, or suffered in place of another. I can’t think of any.

v.      Plaintiff is a person who brings suit in a court. This doesn’t really apply.

w.    Defendant is a person, company, etc., against whom a claim or charge is brought in a court. This doesn’t really apply. 

 6.      Using the 10 step model for resolving ethical dilemmas outlined on pp. 386-389, illustrate the process for resolving the following management dilemma: You are a program manager at an agency that has a personnel policy forbidding anyone in the administrative chain of command with having a relationship with someone under their supervision. This includes blood relatives, relatives by marriage, and intimate relationships outside of marriage. You have personal knowledge totally derived outside of the workplace that two people in the supervisory chain of command have an intimate relationship. A relative of yours owns the house that the couple is renting at some distance from the workplace and the couple is unaware of your relationship to the landlord, and is unaware that you know about them.  Your relative incidentally told you their names and where they worked, and does not realize you work at the same agency.  No one at work has any suspicion about this relationship. It is highly likely that one or both of the partners will lose their job if administration learns about this relationship, and there are few jobs available outside your agency. What choices does the decision making model lead to, and how do you arrive at a decision?

Name the Problem: Should you tell the administration about the relationship?

Narrow the Focus: Find out as much as I can about the situation and observe the people who I know are involved.

Consult the Codes: Dual Roles

 Consider the Laws: Lose their jobs/license

Consult with Colleagues: Ask people what they know of similar instances in the past. Has the agency dealt with this before?

Determine the Goals: Tell the couple to break it off.

Brainstorm the Strategies: Approach couple, tell them to break it off or find a new job.

Consider the consequences: Should I tell? What happens to me if I do? What will happen to the couple?

Consult the Checklist: Is this action in the best interest of the client? Does the action violate the rights of another person? Is it legal? Does it create more harm than good? Does the action violate existing policies, regulations, or procedures? 

 

No comments: