Thursday, April 30, 2015

Journal #11 Self Evaluation

I felt that I adapted to my internship quickly and adjusted to a new population. I had three main issues when I started working: thinking quickly on my feet, clarifying communications, and utilizing resources. Thinking on my feet  has always has been a struggle for me because if I receive too much information at once I get confused and it is difficult for my brain to be able to process the information. It can be difficult for me to interrupt my train of thought, switch gears and do a different task that may be required to be accomplished. I have always desired a very structured type of environment and feel that I thrive in those types of settings. At the end of my internship I can see where I have improved and can fill in the blanks for myself but still like a structured environment and supervisor. At the end of this internship I feel that this skill has drastically improved. Having too much information given to me at one time will still be hard but it is easier for me than before.

Communication is a skill that can be very misleading. A hurtle when I first started was making sure that I am adequately communicating with everyone. I have found it difficult in the past to determine what questions I should be asking. After I determine the correct questions then I require that the explanations be in smaller increments. I look at my communication needs similar to a recipe. I understand the steps required to complete the tasks much better if I go in an organized and step-by-step process. I have discovered that if the tasks if repeated it becomes easier for me each time. I understand that life is not designed for the way that I like communication to occur. I have been able to be successful so far in my educational process with the assistance of my IEP that gives me additional time to think through the process. This of course is not readily applicable in the workplace where many times situations occur quickly. I find that my communication needs can be very frustrating to others. I may need additional explanation where someone else can fill in the blanks.

I have difficulty seeking out and utilizing outside resources. I have heightened my understanding of hoe outside resources can help me find more information and therefore get projects done more efficiently. My experiences during my internship has greatly improved my understanding and confidence to seek and utilize resources.

Overall I feel that I have grown personally by becoming more intelligent, more mature, and more “in the know” by being a liaison between different clubs.  Becoming the editor of the Tor Echo has helped in this skill as well. At the end of my internship I now can see my improvements.

Overall my internship has benefited me tremendously. It was a great experience and has made me a better person so I can leave Alfred and find the job and resources to begin a new chapter in my life.

1 comment:

Musical Notes of a Native Son said...

Thank you so much for your presence. How is East Ramapo school district doing? I studied it in my admin class and man the CORRUPTION is FREAKING CRIMINAL!! NO DIFFERENT FROM FLINT but what are we gonna do!!!